August 12, 2015

Sew: Style Arc Jessica Dress



I'd been planning to try the Style Arc Jessica Dress for some time but wasn't in a real rush. I then saw Marjorie was giving away her copy of the pattern and she kindly offered to send it to me. Thanks again Marjorie. The Jessica Dress suddenly jumped to the top of the queue!

The Jessica Dress is described as "Great easy to wear pull on knit jersey dress with up to the minute twist front feature that is flattering and eye catching." It is a relatively straight forward dress to sew with no major tricky bits. The pattern Marjorie had was a size 14, so I decided to keep it that size. I probably would have bought my usual Style Arc size 16, so it is worth going down a size or two. The neckline has quite a plunge on it and I'm happy to wear a singlet but it's worth considering.


The fabric is a viscose, polyester and spandex knit from Tessuti Fabrics online. My love for black and white is well documented so I bought a few metres of this knit as well as the small dot knit. Out of this print, I have this dress, a Mandy Boat tee and an Ali Knit skirt. What can I say, I'm not afraid of a coordinating wardrobe! This knit is probably not slinky enough for this pattern. It is also a bit too heavy. There is a lot of fabric in that front twist and the whole dress feels bulky. Also, the asymmetry of this dress bugs me. There are pleats on one side but not the other so the hem is crooked and the fabric pulls across the waist strangely. I will be interested to see how it works in a lighter, slinkier knit.

Project Details
Pattern: Style Arc Jessica Dress, size 14
Fabric: Small Squiggle Knit, from Tessuti Fabrics Online
Alterations: None
See Also: Busy Lizzie | Thewallinna | Cashmerette | Allison.C


Overall, I'm not that pleased with this dress due to the poor fabric to pattern match. I will wear it because it's easy to wear but it will probably end up in the Savers pile next year. I prefer it will a black jacket due to the bulky top.

You win some, you lose some!

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat