September 07, 2015

Sew: Simplicity 1366 Stripe Top


This top has been a long time coming but I finally got my act together and hemmed it on Saturday afternoon. About 5 minutes after we were due to leave for a birthday party...

I made my first Simplicity 1366 a few months ago in a floral sateen and it has terrible neck gape issues. I ended up putting a pleat in the back neckline but it's not ideal and I don't wear it. This neck gape issue is not a new problem for me but I'm a slow learner. Solving this problem on this style of top was a bit tricky as I had no bust dart to slash and spread to allow me to fold out the excess from the neckline. I played around with the paper pattern and ended up folding out 3cm from the neckline (both front and back) by running the fold all the way from the neckline to the corner of the side seam and hem. This worked a treat!


The fabric is a thick knit from Gardams in Brisbane that I bought at Christmas. It was bought for a skirt but the recovery is not good so it was re-directed to a top. The neckline binding is a strip of white jersey from the stash.



Project Details
Pattern: Simplicity 1366, size 18
Fabric; Striped double knit from Gardams
Alterations: Removed 3cm from both front and back neckline, lengthened body by 5cm, shortened sleeves by 2.5cm.
See Also: Ernest Flagg | Blogless Anna | Mixed Emotions | Groovy Baby & Mama

I have a few more of these tops on the go. So you might see them on the blog in the next year or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat