April 19, 2016

Sew: Alexa + Lola dress

I bought this fabric a good 3 or 4 years ago on a trip to Sydney with Rachel. I knew it was going to be a knit tee dress. It just had to wait for a few years to become a reality.

I like the fit of the Lola tee through the body but the shoulders are a bit off on me. I like the shoulders of the Alexa tee but the body is a bit too fitted for me. Combine the two and voila!! The shoulders, sleeves and chest area are the Alexa tee. From the bust down is the Alexa tee lengthened to dress length. I wasn't planning on matching the stripes but they were too close not to match.

Project Details
Pattern: Tessuti Alexa top + Tessuti Lola tee
Fabric: Knit from The Fabric Store
Alterations: Shoulders from Alexa top, body (from bust down) from Lola tee, lengthened to dress length, scooped neckline out 7cm
April 12, 2016

Sew: Tessuti Lily Dress

This dress is summer perfection to me. Black & white, tent-like and a TNT pattern. It is of course the Lily Linen Dress pattern from Tessuti Fabrics. I've made it twice before and both have become firm favourites. I really like the fit of the pattern across the neck and chest on me. It fits well and falls perfectly.

This time I used a rayon nylon blend from Tessuti that is light and drapey. It has a slight crinkle to it which is good because it doesn't press well.

The only alteration I made was to omit the hemline tucks.

Project Details
Pattern: Tessuti Lily Linen Dress, size L
Fabric: Blackwell Check rayon nylon blend from Tessuti Melbourne
Alterations: Omitted hemline tucks
See also: Sew Brunswick #1 | Sew Brunswick #2 | Thornberry | Boo Dogg & Me | Blogless Anna

I also used the Lily Linen Dress pattern to make a dress for a good friend's significant birthday. I asked her to chose her fabric from Tessuti and she chose a medium-weight linen called Licorice which is an interesting greyish green (the colour you get when you bite in to licorice).

I had great pleasure in making a dress for someone else who I knew would greatly appreciate it. It turned out beautifully. I think I need a Lily dress with sleeves now...

February 24, 2016

Sew: Chambray Inari Dress


Another Inari Dress! I was on a roll so I just went with it and kept making Inari dresses. My first one was very dressy so I went the casual route for this one. The third is somewhere in between.

I lengthened this dress by 12cm after the indecency of the last version. It's a perfect day length at the front but the back looks a bit long. It doesn't bother me though. The fabric is from Spotlight last year when they got a big shipment of printed chambrays. It's more of a denim than chambray in weight.

I used the facings for this version (my last one was lined) and although I'm not usually a fan of facings these stay nice and flat during wear. They don't look like they will when on a hanger but they do once on the body. I didn't top stitch the facing down. Just stitched in the ditch of the shoulder seams.

Project Details
Pattern: Named Inari Tee Dress, size UK 18
Fabric: Printed chambray from Spotlight
Alterations: Lengthened 12 cm

My photographer is a 5 year old with a broken hand today so these photos required serious cropping to get the dress in the frame... It's my last day at home with Mr 5 today. He's had Wednesdays off for the month of February. Next week he's going to school for all 5 days! And I get to stay home on Fridays and sew!!!!! Can you tell I'm a little bit excited?!

February 09, 2016

Sew: Frocktails Floral Silk Wool Inari Tee Dress

I didn't specifically sew this dress for Frocktails. I had worn it twice but never blogged it. So I'm calling it my Frocktails dress!

The fabric was a 1.2m remnant found in the depths of my fabric stash. I'd made a dress for my cousin's wedding many years ago and as it was so wide, found myself with a decent remnant at the end. And so it sat in the stash, getting deeper and deeper until I was rummaging one day. I struck gold!

The pattern is of the course Named Clothing Inari Tee Dress which has been made time and again across the internet. I decided to line my dress and omitted the facings. The only other change was to lengthen it by 7cm. When standing the dress is a good length but when sitting it is almost indecent. So it is a dress for standing parties! Subsequent versions have been lengthen 12cm which works well.

Frocktails was a fabulous night. I had a great time with friends and loved meeting new people. There were many people there that I didn't get around to chatting to. Next time!

Project Details
Pattern: Named Inari Tee Dress, size UK 18
Fabric: Silk & wool gazaar from The Fabric Store Melbourne (many moons ago), found in the depths of my stash
Alterations: Lengthened 7cm, add lining
See also: Groovy Baby & Mama | Randomly Happy | We The Sewing | Up Sew Late

January 29, 2016

Sew: Tessuti Alice Dress

Is there a period of time after which you cannot post an item on your blog?? I believe I made this dress at the end of last Summer and then put it away, so it's about 11 months old. Better late than never!

This is of course the Tessuti Alice dress. I'm not sure I can add much value to the discussion on this pattern. It's simple, easy to put together and perfect for hot weather. Just make sure you go down two sizes. I'm still not sold on this style on me. It does look a bit shapeless on me but some days just call for a glorified sack.

I do love this linen. I had a tiny piece of the orange colourway a few years ago. I couldn't justify the expense of it for a full garment. Then one fateful day, I saw it online reduced or as a remnant, I can't remember which, and I snatched it up. I have a little bit left which I'm hoping to get a top out of. Thankfully, fabric doesn't go off.

Project Details
Pattern: Tessuti Alice dress, size M
Fabric: Printed linen from Tessuti online
See also: Boo Dogg & Me | Thornberry | The Little Miss Gee Story | Miss Pippilotta

Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat