October 07, 2014

Blog Hop: From Poppykettle to Ernest Flagg and Boo Dogg & Me



Many moons ago, Melanie, of seamstress: poppykettle, nominated me for a blog hop. I then promptly got inundated by life and work and kids. I then threw it all in and hit the road for 3 weeks on an epic road trip! So here's my belated post on the now widespread blog hop. 

what am I working on?
I'm not actually working on anything at the moment. We are 7 weeks in to a 7 month renovation of the back half of our house. We are living in the front two bedrooms and a bathroom. My sewing machines are looking at me longingly from behind the bedroom door. The contents of my sewing room are stored in six large storage boxes in the boy's bedroom. They were too precious to be stored in the shed! I have a few things cut out, ready to sew but I'm actually enjoying the break from sewing. It was becoming more of a chore rather than a hobby. I felt pressured to sew, both to clothe myself and to keep up appearances on the blog. I was starting to feel overwhelmed juggling working, mothering, renovating, sewing and blogging. Blogging was the first to go. And then sewing. I have enough clothes, so I'm going to enjoy the break and look forward to my weekend away with my sewing buddies in December. 


why do I write?
When I think about why I started blogging, there are many reasons. I had just finished my second stint of maternity leave, during which I had really got in to sewing. After raising two boy babies, I wanted something for myself and sewing was my thing. It brought me great joy and challenged a different part of my brain to what my work did.  

Even though I'd sewn for years, I didn't have any friends who sewed. My mum sews, my mother-in-law sews, my sister-in-law sews but none of my friends sewed. I would discuss sewing for hours with my mum but I didn't have anyone in my own generation to discuss sewing with. During my second maternity leave with Mr H, I would go in to Tessuti every week while exploring the city to buy fabric for my next project and discuss sewing with the wonderful Lisa and Nikki. I would then go home and sew that project, returning the next week to buy fabric for the next project. I was on first name basis with the lovely ladies in Clegs. They knew my kid's names and what fabrics and notions I liked. I would chat endlessly with them about what project I was working on and what machine I should upgrade to. I needed more people to talk about sewing with!! Lisa from Tessuti had suggested I start a blog and I laughed her off, saying it would take time away from the actual sewing. But then I started reading blogs and commenting on them. I wanted in! I wanted to be a part of this community. 


I never in a million years thought I would meet actual real people through blogging. I thought it would be a bit of an anonymous thing. I created, I took photos, I shared and I discussed. Nothing more. But then I got an email from Rachel. Asking if I'd like to meet for a coffee one day. Hell yes!! We met at a safe place, Clegs (in case I was a serial killer, hey Mike?!). We then had a few blogging meet ups which were fabulous. I met more sewing buddies. I can now safely say that I have met some of my closest friends through blogging. I am forever grateful that I decided to start writing a blog.  


how does it differ from others of it’s genre?
How does my writing differ from others?? Well, I don't consider myself a good or creative writer. I'm good at writing technical information, directional instructions, business cases and negotiation discussions.  Hell! I'm married to an engineer who doesn't even include dear and regards in his emails. Straight to the point.  He does put xx in emails to me! 

I'm a pharmacist plus a project and business manager so I spend all day carefully crafting my written correspondence to be precise and to the point. I write instructional protocols and guidelines as well a negotiation and legal emails. I spend my days organising, negotiating and liaising. I find it easiest to approach my blog posts like a case report or laboratory report. I use the project details section to clearly define the specifics of my project and then the paragraphs to describe the process, issues and thoughts. I find it really difficult to write creatively. I'm a very succinct and precise person. What you see is what you get!

I don't tend to write very wordy posts. Personally, I stop reading blog posts if they're too long. I want to the know the details not the waffle. I love pictures. I will often search the images section of google when  planning a project. I notice that a lot of bloggers don't include pictures of the back of the garment. Drives me nuts! 


how does my writing process work?
If I'm making a new pattern, I will start writing the blog post while I'm sewing. I note all my alterations and issues while they're fresh in my mind. I don't do this with the basic everyday items (which tend to be a majority of my sewing) and this backfires on me when I come to blog it and I can't remember what I've done or changed. As I mentioned earlier, I like to write in a structured way with the details and my process clearly defined. I do include a bit of chatter but not a lot!


nominate!
So it's now my turn to nominate a few bloggers to join the blog hop and discuss their writing styles. I would like to know more about Emma behind Ernest Flagg, who I had the pleasure of meeting on our epic road trip, and Rachel of Boo Dogg and Me, because we could talk sewing forever! Ladies, your challenge if you choose to accept, is to address the questions highlighted in bold. 

L xx

8 comments:

  1. You are one of my favourite bloggers! And I think your get to the point style is one of the reasons why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you serial killer you! Thanks for the nomination - will answer soon. I also love your clear and direct manner of writing - I've learnt a lot about fitting from you and your blog posts. Looking forward to another good natter about sewing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Suzanne! That's means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you started a blog and met a whole world of sewers! Thank you for sharing all your fantastic makes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have I mentioned lately just HOW GLAD I am that you blog, and that we have been able to become friends through your blog! Love your work Leith!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lara! I will be forever grateful that I started this blog and met all you lovely ladies. L x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I'm so glad you like my makes.

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat