August 10, 2014

Sew: Style Arc Simone Cardi


Another successful Style Arc cardigan! I got this pattern, the Simone cardigan, free when I bought my beloved Harper jacket pattern. I wasn't that interested in it until I spotted this beautiful pink and black patterned merino knit at The Fabric Store. Something clicked in my sewing mind and I knew the fabric and pattern would be a perfect combination.


The Style Arc Simone Cardigan is described as "the clever cardigan pattern" that has been designed so the drape creates the pocket. It can be made with or without buttons. I made it without the buttons as I will never button it up.

Despite the fact that the pocket looks a bit tricky, it was exceptionally easy to put together. The instructions are limited but you don't really need them much. Just follow the notches and look at the pictures. I debated about whether to interface the neck band or not and ended up not as I thought it might be too thick. It is fine without but I would interface thinner or slinkier knits. This merino knit has a bit of body to it.

From the instructions it is not clear that you have to cut two neck band pieces. You do need two of them and there is a seam at the centre back. It is strikingly obvious that the neck band is too short to make it all the way around but I did still hesitate. Take it from me, you need two!



If I was to make this cardigan again I would size down one size, or sew it with larger seam allowances. I feel that it is a touch too large, especially across the shoulders. That could be the style but I'm not used to over-sized styles and I keep wanting to pull it up.

Besides that, it is a perfect cardigan to liven up a black tee and jeans. I wore it yesterday to the sewing meet up at Little Creatures. It was great to meet some new faces and catch up with friends.

Project Details
Pattern: Style Arc Simone Cardigan, size 16
Fabric: Printed merino knit from The Fabric Store
See Also: Thornberry | What Katie Sews

Mr Sew Brunswick photo bombed my photo shoot! Can you see him in the shed window? Our house and yard is an absolute mess while we prepare for a major house renovation. We ran out of "nice" space to take photos, so in front of the shed it was!


L x

21 comments:

  1. It's very nice on you! Love the necklace too

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great fabric! It's a great colour on you and I agree a perfect match to this pattern. I remember reading another blog post about it and they had the same issue with the neck band - I can't remember who it was though. I love that your husband photo-bombed too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice to meet you. Your cardi looked really lovely & very cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of my favourite things you've made. The colours are gorgeous and it looks wonderful. I've really got to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right - a perfect pattern and fabric match. Great colour on you too. And I always swoon over that necklace...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this cardi! I wish I lived in Melbs so I could "try on" all your creations to save me from doing a muslin first...I'd shower beforehand of course!


    I also cannot for the life of me so Mr Sew Brunswick...he's hiding I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh. Love what you've done with this pattern and fabric. They're fantastic. Great shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I'm pretty chuffed with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha! He's in the reflection of the shed window.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it a fabulous necklace?! Must get a black one too. Thanks Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Big call Rachel!! I've made a LOT of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to meet you too. I love talking all things sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I said ONE of my favourite things. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this cardigan and your choice of fabric. I ordered this pattern and it arrived today, along with your timely post. I am so glad you mentioned the need for 2 neckbands and to grade down a size. I had limited fabric and I carefully placed the pattern and cut it all out with not a scrap to spare. Enjoy wearing your beautiful cardie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous in person and on the blog. Stunning colour and I love the style on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leith, this is freaking awesome! I love it hard. And may want to steal it... Bwah ha ha! (it's pink and comfy which is Amanda crack) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous print Merino!!! It looks wonderfully cosy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have looked at this pattern on their website. It looks do much better made up. I love merino wool fabric, do warm. If you have any scraps you could make an infinity scarf as it would match any black items beautifully. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this cardigan recently and I just love it. Yours is such a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat