Well, it's been a long time between finished items around here. I've been steadily working on my Tessuti Gridlock Competition entry. I took my time with the fitting and flat piping. I am so glad I did since I think this dress might be my proudest hand made item to date.
Let's take a look...
And just a few more...
Now for the finer details...
Copious amounts of basting and piping were done...
And even a handpicked zipper! My first ever.
The inside is beautiful too, with a lined bodice and bound armholes.
I used Simplicity 1802 for the basis of this dress and simply altered the skirt (as shown below). I didn't like the look of the skirt in the pattern and certainly didn't think the fabric would work for it.
The colour of the fabric is quite interesting. It can appear quite light and almost a lilac purple-blue in some lights but dark blue in other lights. I really wanted to work on the dark blue to suit my colouring so I paired it with a dark royal blue ponte for the piping to bring out the desired colour and shade. It is so very much my colour and I'd forgotten how much I love it.
Pattern: Simplicity 1802, size 16
Fabric: Gridlock from Tessuti, dark royal blue ponte & blue gold-liner lining from Clegs
Alterations: Self- drafted a flared skirt using the pattern piece as guidance, lengthened skirt by 10cm
I am so ridiculously excited about this dress. I took my time to address what I wanted out of this fabric and challenge. I pushed my boundaries and went out of my comfort zone. I took the long and proper way instead of taking the quickest and easiest route. I finally enjoyed the process of slow and steady sewing. It was good to slow down.
One more photo to show the big grin that this dress induces!