January 30, 2013

Celebrate: Australia Day "extended" Long Weekend



Me and the boys hot-footed it to Queensland last Thursday for the long weekend as Mr Sew Brunswick was gallivanting (aka working) around the world for a few weeks. Everything started well. I flew solo with the two "monsters" to Brisbane and Gran was there to meet us. We swung by the hospital to pick up Dad, day 1 post shoulder replacement, and headed down the highway and up the mountain to Mum & Dad's place on Mt Tamborine.

Things then went a little unplanned. It started to rain. And rain. And rain some more. Then the wind picked up and we were in the middle of an ex-cyclone. We had at least 35 inches of rain in the gauge between Friday and Monday. I reckon most of it was coming down sideways and didn't even get in to the gauge! Monday morning we were due to leave for Brisbane and the airport but there was no way I was flying in that weather and a big gum tree fell across the drive so we were stuck anyway. Plus all roads off the mountain were closed. Thankfully my brother managed to get through on Monday arvo with nappies and milk plus the skills to operate a chainsaw!

We did get to see my family on Friday and Saturday before the weather turned too bad. The boys got to play with their cousins and I got to see my brothers and sister-in-laws. I also got to spend some time with my sewing-tailoring-knitting ninja of a grandmother. She helped me fit my drape jacket and even hand-basted it for me. She also gave me some knitting tips. And of course, I got to spend some quality time with my parents. I knitted lots while watching the tennis and Madagascar. I did give mum's vintage Elna a spin but I was all out of sorts with a different machine and sewing space.

We made it home today. So much for work this week. Oh well, we were in good company and everyone was safe and sound.

Time to fire up the machines!! I'm itching to sew something.

L x

4 comments:

  1. Yikes, bad timing for a trip to Qld, but glad to hear you're all ok. Nothing like forced inactivity to get you in the mood for doing/ sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing something for Sewcietea? Sometimes it's nice to have enforced family time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I was mentally shopping my fabric and pattern stash. I think I've come up with a good combo. Watch this space!

      Delete
  3. It was nice reading your story. After reading your story I must say that it was a good as well as the bad experience for you at mt tamborine. I personally want to have a visit at mt tamborine wineries. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat