October 05, 2015

Sew: Vogue 8921 (aka the Frocktails dress)


For a long time I wasn't sure what I was going to make for Frocktails. But thanks to the powers of Instagram I was obsessed with Vogue 8921 after I saw Kat's post. Kat was extremely kind to gift me her pattern as she'd bought a size too large. Thanks Kat! 

The fabric I chose was a glittery mesh fabric from Rathdowne Fabrics. I bought it with no plans. I just I thought it would be a fun stash fabric. It didn't even make it to the stash. Thankfully, as I don't have any room in the stash at the moment! 

The pattern is good and I would like to make it again in a slinkier knit. I'd also like to make it with the crossover front. It was fun to wear but it's not really my style. I don't usually wear long sleeves. Or glittery knits. 

The biggest issue I had was the shapelessness of the waist. I wasn't planning on wearing it with a belt but it didn't really look any good without some sort of waist definition. I tried sewing elastic in to the waist without success. A belt was the easiest solution. 



Project Details
Pattern: Vogue 8921, size 16
Fabric: Glitzy sparkle mesh from Rathdowne Fabrics
Alterations: 4cm sway back adjustment, fully lined with slinky black knit (also from Rathdowne), elastic waist
See Also: Erica Bunker | Kathy Sews | Sew Manju

All in all it was a fun project for an excellent night. Not sure it will be worn again as is. I might shorten it to just below the knee and possibly shorten the sleeves to 3/4.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat