April 23, 2014

Sew: Vogue 8916 Pencil Skirt



My work wardrobe is seriously lacking of late. I made a lot of work clothes towards the end of 2012 and these beloved dresses are nearing the end of their life cycle. My favourite work dress has lining that is deteriorating rapidly. Every time I sit down at my desk, I hear a tiny rip. But I just can't bring myself to part with it yet... 

I do love a good work dress and sheath dresses are my favourite. The sheath dress is closely followed by a pencil skirt. I don't own many, a problem I'm hoping to rectify soon, but my favourite is the Autumn Pencil Skirt. I wear that skirt a lot. 


Sorry (not sorry!) for the dodgy early morning photos and "renovator's delight" backdrop. Sometimes I just need to snap a few photos when I first wear an item because if I don't, I know I won't ever take photos of it. Also, the basic items are the hardest to photograph. They're just a bit too boring.

The pattern is a relatively new Vogue Patterns Wardrobe pattern, Vogue 8916. There are very limited reviews of it on the web. It comes with a blouse, skirt, dress and jacket. I like the look of all items except the dress. It is a great basic work wardrobe pattern.

In terms of construction, it came together really quickly and easily. I made two slight changes to the pattern. Instead of putting darts in the lining pieces, I simply folded the fabric to create a pleat. This is my preferred way of doing linings. Also, the skirt pattern is missing a kick pleat. I added one in using another pattern. Who wears a pencil skirt without a kick pleat?! How can one walk?


The fabric is a lovely wool suiting from Tessuti that I grabbed from the remnant table. I'm not usually a remnant shopper but this was a wide piece and enough for a pencil skirt. The print is actually tiny white polka dots on a black background but looks like a charcoal grey from a distance. It has a lovely feel to it but does not keep a press. I swear I ironed this skirt excessively before taking these photos!


Project Details
Pattern: Vogue 8916, view D, size 18
Fabric: 100% wool suiting remnant from Tessuti Melbourne
Lining: Black goldliner lining from Clegs Brunswick
Alterations: Added a kick pleat

Overall, I'm really pleased with the basic addition to my work wardrobe. I will most definitely use this pattern again in the future but my next pencil skirt will be using Simplicity 2343 again. Probably in a thick black cotton with a waffle print.

Watch this space!

L x

7 comments:

  1. Very cute skirt. I like them both though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely skirt. I think that basic items are often the least forgiving...they might be less exciting to photograph but can show up every mistake too. You look like you nailed it. Great fit too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great skirt which fits and looks good on you. This will be a great go to skirt for many occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely skirt! I know what you mean about taking pics of things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely lovely on you! It's so simple, but chic. The fit is spot on, as well. I can't wait to see your next 2343--that's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Perfect fit and a gorgeous classic basic. Totally agree, the basics are so hard to photograph, but at least they make up for it in wearability! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great make and the fit is perfect! Brilliant wardrobe basic, not boring, necessary :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat