December 30, 2012

Sew: Grainline Moss Mini Skirt

 
I've been thinking about this pattern for some time but once I saw Boo Dogg's and Poppykettle's versions, it jumped to the top of the list! I was too impatient to wait for my beautiful Italian denim from Tessuti to be pre-washed and dried that I went stash shopping and found this navy cotton drill from Spotlight. I bought 5 metres to make my Clover toiles but only used 1.5 metres after finding out the hard way that it does not contain 3% stretch. 
 

I made View B with the hem band. I simply hemmed the hem band with a 1.5cm hem instead of following the directions which direct you to fold the hem band in half and slip stitch it to the seam. I used some Liberty fabric left over from my Lonsdale dress for the pockets and facings.


I opted for a hook and slide instead of the jean button for a clean look. I will attempt the button for my next version.


I forgot to remove the basting stitches from the zip...



Project Details
Pattern: Grainline Moss Mini Skirt, View B
Fabric: Navy cotton drill from Spotlight
Alterations: Tapered in side seam from hip to waist by an extra 1cm each side, hemmed hem band with a 1.5cm hem (without folding back on itself)


 
I am ridiculously pleased with this skirt. I'm not in love with the fabric (cheap cotton drill) but can see so much potential in this pattern. The Italian denim is cut and waiting, including more Liberty lining. I just need to hem some neon green monkey boxer shorts for the boys...
 
L x


12 comments:

  1. I think this might have to sneak up my list too! Perfect for an au summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving all these post Christmas projects you are able to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks brilliant with the top! It seems to be a great pattern (off I go to pick it up)...J

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pattern has been on my wishlist for a little while - your version looks great, I really like the little touches of liberty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic- a super classic look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice classic shape - will be good for all seasons. I think it will be great in denim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh lovely! Your fly and waistband look perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look like a great wardrobe staple. I haven't tried grainline's patterns and the one you made previous post also looks good. Might have to give them a try next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! The denim will be perfect. This one goes perfectly with the marc jacobs tank. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have just discovered your blog and i love it all! you have given me some much needed inspiration to get back on the sewing machine after a few lazy months! i have to say my absolute favourite is the vogue 8815, so much so that i've just bought one online!
    thanks for the great blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! You have made my day. I am so glad you like my little spot on the internet. Good luck getting back in touch with your machines!

      Delete
  11. I love this pattern - must make. Your pop of Liberty looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat