January 26, 2015

Sew: Liesl + Co Girl Friday Culottes




I finally jumped on the culotte bandwagon! And I'm loving them. I bought this fabric for culottes way back in October from Tessuti Melbourne. I was planning on modifying a Vogue pattern but after muslining the pattern I realised there was way too much work involved so I put them aside. The Girl Friday culottes then started appearing all over the world of sewing blogs. The pattern wasn't exactly what I had in my mind but it was close enough so I forged ahead. 

The pattern comes together easily and is well drafted. The sizing is accurately described in the finished waist measurements provided but it is tricky to know what size you need exactly until the waistband is on. I discovered after the first wear that I like them to sit snugly, quite high on my waist. The weight of the fabric pulls the front of the waistband down if it is not firm.  I knew it was going to bug me and I wouldn't wear them if I didn't fix them straight away. So after the first wear I dutifully unpicked the front waistband and took an extra 2.5cm out of each side pleat (not the centre front pleat). I then removed 5cm from the waistband and reattached it. Unfortunately my finish was perfect on the first go and not-so-perfect on the second go, but I was not unpicking for a second time. 

The fabric is (I think) a linen/cotton/rayon blend from Tessuti Melbourne. One side is a real black that is shiny and smooth. The other side has a slight linen texture and looks like washed silk. It is washed out black colour. I chose the "washed silk" side as the outside. 

The pattern calls for a normal zipper to be inserted inside the left pocket. I don't care much for normal dress zips so I chose to use an invisible zip. I just followed the same general instructions but inserted the invisible zip instead. The other interesting part of the instructions was that the waistband is attached to the wrong side and then flipped to the right side and topstitched. No stitching in the ditch or hand stitching required!





Project Details
Fabric: Linen/cotton/rayon blend from Tessuti Melbourne
Alterations: Removed 5cm from front waist band and pleats, used an invisible zipper

I'm really loving these culottes. I didn't think they would suit me or be very flattering but I think they do. They're extremely comfortable to wear and I even feel slightly trendy! Winning! I struggled to know what to wear with culottes so I purchased two tees from Country Road that go nicely and will see me through Summer. 



I'm not sure if I'll make another pair of these. There's only so many pairs of culottes a girl needs. I am pondering a more structured pair in a sturdy black wool suiting I got from Rathdowne for work. Or I'll stick to my original plan of a pair of Thurlows. I would make the waistband wider if I make these culottes again. I have noticed that the new Vogue patterns has a culottes pattern and I do like the look of those.

So, tell me, what do you think of culottes? Have you jumped on the #teamculottes bandwagon??

L x

14 comments:

  1. I think they look great! The tees are perfect with them and so is the light cardigan. I am definitely on #teamculottes as you know, but I agree. I'm not sure if there is room for another pair in my closet either

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look rather stylish - hooray! - and I assume they're very comfy? I'd like to jump on the bandwagon too, but I might start by modifying some huge orange linen 80s pants to see how they look on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are super flattering on you, and the comfort factor is high on the Girl Friday culottes. I think a winter weight pair would be fantastic, if only I needed a pair like that here. The tees look good with them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to have a win! They look so wearable and suitable for so many occasions. They look like they could cross over a few seasons too. Hmmmm, maybe I need to join #teamculottes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them! I think they're really flattering and I like that they can be dressed up or down. I think a winter pair is in order, and I'm toying with a patterned pair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do it Bernice! Join #teamculottes

    ReplyDelete
  7. The more I think about it, the more I NEED winter weight culottes! Patterned culottes would look great on you. Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super duper comfy Gabrielle. You should give them a go. You've got the height to pull them off. Do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe there's room for one more Jillian??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your culottes. Glad you are enjoying them as much as I'm enjoying mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great! Classic black works very well in the culotte. I'm a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been looking at my Ottobre Mags & there is a culottes pattern. They are shorts but would easily be lengthened. Will text photo...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll admit that I haven't been so sure about the second coming of culottes so far... Maybe because I remember them from the first time around?? But I LOVE these. They are perfect. And yes, very chic. Now I'm browsing culottes patterns online....

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat