November 11, 2013

Sew: Vogue 1250 in Mood Jersey


I'm a bit of a pattern repeat offender lately. First with the McCalls 6559 and now with the Vogue 1250. Seriously, if it works why go against it?! 

Now this would be my sixth version of Vogue 1250. You can see my previous versions here, here, here, here and here. What can I say? I love Vogue 1250. 


I made my standard adjustments. A 4cm sway back adjustment, a double cowl and an extra 5cm length. This fabric isn't as drapey as my previous versions so the dress has a slightly firmer fit.



This is my beloved animal print jersey from my adventures at Mood Fabrics LA. I have about 1.5m left which I'm going to make a shortened Mission Maxi dress with.


There is not much else to say about this dress. I love it, it's super comfortable and that's all there is to it.  

Project Details
Pattern: Vogue 1250, size 18
Fabric: Animal print jersey from Mood Fabrics
Alterations: 4cm sway back adjustment, lengthened 5cm and doubled the cowl. 


I'm yet to make this in a solid colour. A black one would be a versatile addition to my wardrobe. At the moment, I think it is time to step away from the Vogue 1250!


In other news, I recently went a little crazy with my blog template and did a big spring clean. The template is the Lady Luck Blogger template by Blog Boat on Etsy. It was a little tricky to install but once I got the hang of it, it was quite fun. I do love a bit of a challenge. 

I've gone all social and started Sew Brunswick Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest accounts. If you want to follow along, just click on the buttons on the sidebar. More importantly, if you have a blog Instagram account, let me know and I'll start stalking you! 

I've also been cutting out and sewing up a storm lately but am seriously lacking the blogging energy. I just don't feel like blogging my makes at the moment. Anyone else ever feel like that? 

And last but not least, I am making a little black jacket using Vogue 7975. I actually started it before all this talk about French jackets that has been taking the online sewing community by storm. I'm just very slow. Have you seen Melanie's amazing jacket?! Mine is ridiculously boring in comparison but will be extremely handy and versatile for work. I am up to hand stitching the lining hems but am torn about the shoulders. I feel they might be a little wide but it would be very difficult to unpick the sleeves without ruining the fabric and I don't want to over fit it. My Cordova jacket is a little too tight across the shoulders for comfort. I still wear it and love it though. 



I've included a picture (a very bad picture from late on a Saturday night - don't we all sew on a Saturday night in our pyjamas??) so you can weigh in on the debate. The shoulders in the picture look perfect to me. They just feel a tad wide. I'm going to put an extra layer of fabric in my right shoulder (non-phone shoulder) as it is always slightly lower. What do you think? Do they look too wide? Am I being too picky? Probably. The more I sew, the pickier I get. No wonder I can't buy clothes anymore... 

Thanks in advance for all your words of wisdom! 

L x

23 comments:

  1. Love the 1250. That jersey is fabulous! I agree the shoulders look perfect in the photo - I don't think you need to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black and white look really good on you! I'm so jealous, because all those good neutral colours look terrible on me.

    The shoulders look fine to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a serious shortage of blogging energy all the time so I'm hearing you. I have a partly made French jacket that's been lurking around my sewing table for most of the year - another thing I don't seem to have the energy for. I think the shoulders look fine. Great dress by the way and fabulously styled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, are you saying that you actually bought a blog template from an Etsy shop? Gosh, I'm so behind the times and so 'socially challenged'. I'm still struggling to make sense of why people have started using these things - #.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I bought one. It was a cheapy as you have to do the set up yourself. It was actually quite of a challenge but ended up being very useful for work as well. Double bonus! No idea about hashtags either!!

      Delete
  5. You are being too picky - those jacket shoulders look perfect. As does the dress and the blog! Nice work all around Leith. I am way behind with blogging too, if that is any comfort, but I know that I want to get back up to date - I really do refer back to my blog as my sewing notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm very picky now. Thanks Lara! I'm going to leave them be.

      Delete
  6. Your jacket looks great. I think a bit of ease is better than a tight fit, especially when no one else can see the ease! I'm a lurker on your blog and love your posts. I sew all the time but don't have a blog of my own. I will jump in the pond when I finish my studies this year...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your version of V1250, looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should sew another 6 versions of V1250! It looks really good on you. I debated buying this pattern and now I wish I would have! It is very flattering and you've got it nailed. Don't give up a good thing :)

    The jacket looks great. I think the shoulders fit nicely and will allow you to layer it over a range of tops or even light sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress looks great and I wouldn't touch the jacket. It looks perfect to me. Did you already put shoulder pads in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! You are the queen of a fitted jacket so I will take your advice. I'm going to leave it be. No shoulder pads yet. I'm just going to put an extra layer of fabric in on one side.

      Delete
  10. It's kinda hard to see the jacket clearly, but looks good. It's funny, if it was rtw would we think about it so much?

    Loving the vogue 1250. It's in my stash waiting for a time when it might fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So wouldn't pick so much on RTW! Although I find it hard to even buy RTW now. Not because it doesn't fit but because I'm too picky about the details and fit.

      Delete
  11. Mmmmm very nice print!! I'm a serial repeat offender!!! M5845 every second week! and now its V6349! hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't imagine a solid version of that Vogue dress after all these fab printed versions you've made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. A solid version would be boring. Not to mention show every lump and bump!

      Delete
  13. Your blogs are fab- I'm endlessly impressed by how much you make and blog, you're an inspiration! This pattern is in my as-yet-unmade stash. Must get to it soon. Your versions are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How does that old cliche go - "if it ain't broke ......."! You look fab. I don't usually wear animal print but I recently made a cowl neck blouse in a puesdo animal black and white print. So what can I say .... I love it!! Ps am following you on instagram! Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nope don't sew Saturday night in my PJs, I sew in a random state of undress normally!! A result of trying things on an never really getting dressed properly!!
    BTW - nothing wrong with making a pattern over and over if you love it and it works (which for you it clearly does). I am currently making the Elisalex for the fourth time!

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat