August 21, 2013
Sew: Lady Skater Dress FAIL
In the interest of full disclosure, I am posting a recent sewing fail. It's not all peaches around here! Inspired by this dress, I pulled out my beautiful bamboo knit that I bought to make a drape drape top and Tessuti Fave tee. Big mistake! This pattern is not for really drapey fabric. It is designed for more stable knits. Once I started sewing, I knew it was not going to work. I even spent a bit of time trying to save it. I took the shoulder seams up an extra inch and removed two inches off the bodice length. It still hangs way below my natural waist and is close to showing off my bra. And there is something weird happening with the shoulders. They seem very wide.
Oh well, you live and you learn. I will definitely try this pattern again. The style is perfect for casual sunny days. I'm going to try it in one of the Liberty cotton jerseys which are quite stable and very pretty! I will cut the skirt off and attach it to some elastic for a simple skirt.
And I will have to get more of that bamboo knit from Clegs. It is luscious!