Another kid's birthday party, another dress! I have summer babies and hence most of their friends are also summer babies. So from November to March we have birthday party after birthday party. We actually have two this weekend. So I whipped up a new dress!! Not that I don't have enough dresses in my wardrobe...
I do love a good summer dress. This is a great basic pattern with a few modifications I've learnt along the way. I folded out the excess in the front and back neckline. A total of four inches!! I simply slashed the darts to allow the excess to be folded out. Simple.
I also used bias binding for the neckline (and armholes) instead of the recommended facing. Easy as.
This is one of the printed cottons I picked up in Sydney last weekend. It is beautiful and soft but probably a little too lightweight for this pattern. It doesn't hold up well to those front angle darts. We'll see how it goes.
Pattern: Simplicity 2444
Fabric: Printed cotton from The Remnant Warehouse
Alterations: Removed 2.5cm from front and back pattern piece using slash & spread method, lengthened by 2.5cm and substituted bias binding for neck facing.
I am contemplating making another of these dresses for work, in the black and white fabric I got last weekend. Or I might use Simplicity 1873, a Cynthia Rowley pattern instead...